RAWALPINDI: Termination of more than 200 employees by a new security company of the Metro Bus Service between Rawalpindi. Islamabad triggered a protest on Monday morning, leading to suspension of bus operations for around two hours.
The Metro Bus Service employees came out onto the metro track in protest against their dismissal. non-payment of salaries for the last two months.
The protesting workers blocked the track, due to which Metro Bus Service between the twin cities remained suspended, causing severe difficulties for students. office-going men and women during peak hours.
For this purpose, all dismissed male. female employees of the Metro Bus Service gathered at the Potohar Metro Bus Station on Monday morning and raised slogans against the Metro administration.
The affected employees claimed that the Metro Bus administration had dismissed more than 200 employees without any prior notice. They said the dismissal process started from May 1. that they had not been paid salaries for March and April.
The protesters said the Metro Bus Service contract had been awarded to a new company, which terminated the previous employees soon after taking charge. began hiring new staff, while salaries for the old employees remained unpaid.
They added that the employees had not received their dues,. the administration kept giving new dates with various excuses, despite the contract period of the dismissed workers being valid till 2027.
The protesters said many of the dismissed employees had been working with the Metro Bus Service for 8 to 10 years. were often the sole breadwinners for their families.
They appealed to Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz to take immediate notice of the issue. ensure payment of two months’ salaries to the affected employees.
On the other hand. Punjab Mass Transit Authority Rawalpindi-Islamabad Operations Manager Wajid Saleem was not available for comments despite repeated attempts.
A senior PMA official said the bus service was suspended in the morning but was later restored after talks between protesters. the administration.
He said the new security company took charge on May 1 and made decisions regarding its workforce. He added that the PMA administration was working to resolve the issue,. another round of talks between the affected employees and administration was expected on Tuesday.
Published in Dawn, May 19th, 2026
Discussion
Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.