KARACHI: The city administration on Thursday decided to launch a dedicated mobile app that would centralise fire safety data for commercial buildings, shopping centres. large public venues in the metropolis with the aim of enhancing emergency response efforts.
The decision to this effect was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by Commissioner Syed Hassan Naqvi. It reviewed progress on the ongoing fire safety audit of commercial buildings.
Officials said that the meeting approved development of a dedicated mobile app to centralise fire safety data for commercial buildings, shopping centres. large public venues.
They said that the platform would integrate all departments involved in disaster management and fire safety.
Officials say the platform will integrate all departments involved in disaster management
The officials said that in the event of an emergency, rescue agencies would be able to access real-time details of a building’s safety arrangements. facilities through the app’s dashboard. They said this would enable faster, coordinated responses across all relevant departments.
The officials said that the Sub-Divisional Fire Safety Audit Committees, operating under assistant commissioners. established by Chief Secretary Syed Asif Hyder Shah, were continuing their survey of commercial buildings, shopping centres and major public facilities across the city.
The meeting was attended among others by deputy commissioners, assistant commissioners and municipal commissioners of Karachi’s towns via video link.
Other participants included Association of Builders. Developers Association (ABAD) Chairman Mohammad Hassan Bakhshi, Assistant Commissioner Revenue Sajjad Abro, Assistant Commissioner Headquarters Rabia Syed, Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) system analyst Diyal Das Rathore, chief fire officer Mohammad Humayun and officers from Rescue-1122, Civil Defence and Cantonment Boards.
The officials said that the meeting took key decisions to ensure all commercial establishments fully comply with required safety measures. SOPs.
The meeting was informed that to date, over 800 buildings had been surveyed. notices had been issued to those failing to meet safety standards, directing them to implement the required measures without delay.
Briefing the meeting. Diyal Das Rathore said that the ACs-led committees had uploaded survey data for more than 800 commercial buildings to the Fire Safety Audit Portal. The data includes details on fire safety provisions and disaster response arrangements.
He said that the buildings found non-compliant had been served notices and directed to address deficiencies immediately.
Participants also discussed adding further data to the portal to strengthen emergency response capabilities. The information will help rescue agencies act swiftly during fires or natural disasters.
The commissioner directed that the safety audit survey be expedited.
The officials said that the KMC’s Chief Fire Officer, Rescue-1122, Civil Defence. the Sindh Building Control Authority would support the effort and help prioritise high-risk buildings.
Civil Defence has been tasked with identifying and submitting a list of high-risk structures lacking adequate safety measures.
The commissioner emphasised that all relevant departments must play an active role in completing the audit quickly.
Published in Dawn, May 22nd, 2026
Discussion
Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.