The founder of a cafe for adults with additional needs has said she was "deeply disappointed" at the conduct of Reform UK during a visit by leader Nigel Farage. the party's Makerfield by-election candidate.
The party responded to a letter from Gemma Crompton. director of The Hamlet Wigan Community Interest Company (CIC), suggesting her criticism may have been "politically influenced".
The visit had coincided with a non-campaign related event attended by Labour candidate Andy Burnham. who accused Reform of being "out of order".
After Burnham shared Crompton's letter on social media, Reform hit back and said their visit was "completely ad-hoc and non-political".
The row came after a report in the Daily Mail newspaper by political correspondent Christian Calgie, who had been with Farage. Kenyon covering Reform's by-election campaign trail on Wednesday.
He was present when Farage. Kenyon stopped at the cafe "for a cup of tea and some food" and became aware that, unknown to them in advance, Burnham was also in the premises talking to young adults with additional needs.
Calgie reported that he approached Burnham to ask questions about the campaign, only for the Greater Manchester mayor to react with "fury". respond: "You don't go into a place like that unannounced, you're out of order there."
Burnham has accused the Mail of reporting a "partial version of events". added: "They were all out of order and, if they had any decency, would now hold their hands up and apologise."
In Crompton's letter to Farage, attached to Burnham's post on X. confirmed by her to the BBC as accurately reflecting her views, she said the cafe had been hosting a joint celebration for some of their trainees who had been awarded Gold Duke of Edinburgh Awards.
It was also celebrating the news that Wigan Council had granted The Hamlet a 25-year lease after a long campaign.
She said Burnham's attendance was "entirely focused on recognising our trainees and celebrating the achievements of our community organisation".
"At no point was today intended to be a political event or platform for campaigning," she said.
Crompton said the organisation had "no issue" with anyone from any political persuasion visiting the cafe.
However, she said: "The unannounced arrival of [Reform UK's] campaign team, accompanied by a large entourage, security presence,. media crews, created an atmosphere that many of our trainees, families, staff, and customers found intimidating and overwhelming…
"Organisations supporting vulnerable young adults should never be placed in a position where political leaders. campaign teams arrive unannounced with significant media presence and security personnel."
Crompton said the cafe had "clear signage" requesting that no photographs or filming take place involving trainees.
"We are therefore requesting a formal apology regarding the way today's visit was handled. alongside assurances that no other organisation supporting vulnerable people within the borough will experience a similar situation in future," the letter stated.
"Safeguarding, dignity, and emotional wellbeing must always come before political publicity."
In a response letter addressed to Crompton. shared with the BBC, Reform acknowledged the "excellent work" done by The Hamlet.
Farage and Kenyon were in the area and simply "popped in" for refreshments, the letter stated.
"This was a completely ad hoc. non-political visit, and both appreciated the opportunity to meet with you, learn more about the organisation, and hear about the important work you carry out," it continued.
"In light of this, we were surprised to receive your letter, particularly as the concerns you have now raised were not mentioned at any stage during your half-an-hour conversation with Nigel. Rob."
The letter said staff at The Hamlet had "taken selfies" with Farage. Kenyon and denied that any of Reform's photographers took pictures on the premises.
Reform said a number of young adults had engaged positively with Farage and "shook his hand".
"We must admit that the tone. nature of your letter unfortunately gives rise to the impression that it is politically influenced, unlike our visit which was made in good faith and without political motivation," it added.
The Makerfield by-election was triggered by the resignation of sitting Labour MP Josh Simons. who said he wanted to give Greater Manchester Mayor Burnham a route back into the parliamentary party.
Burnham would widely be expected to challenge Sir Keir Starmer for the leadership -. thereby become Prime Minister - if he can first convince voters in Makerfield.
The full list of candidates confirmed so far ahead of polling day on Thursday 18 June are:
Listen to the best ofBBC Radio Manchester on Soundsand follow BBC Manchester onFacebook,X, andInstagram. You can also send story ideas via Whatsapp to 0808 100 2230.
Discussion
Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.