Native World News

SFA 'fully supports' referee Robertson & releases Celtic Park audio

SFA 'fully supports' referee Robertson & releases Celtic Park audio

Don Robertson was correct to end the match between Celtic and Hearts, according to the Scottish FA

The Scottish Football Association has released thevideo. audio,externalfrom the final moments of last Saturday's dramatic final-day Scottish Premiership title decider to confirm referee Don Robertson did end the game after consulting with Hearts boss Derek McInnes.

The Tynecastle head coach wanted his players off the pitch as Celtic fans streamed on following Callum Osmand's late goal. made it 3-1 to the hosts.

The SFA says Robertson took the "correct action in ending the game".

Hearts shareholder Tony Bloom claimed on Wednesday that Tynecastle players were assaulted by Celtic fans.

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill dismissed criticism of the pitch invasion as "nonsense" and said allegations of assault have"not been proved".

Hearts also raised concerns about the "premature" end to the match. with referee Robertson signalling for full time despite there appearing to be 30 seconds left of the minimum eight minutes of stoppage time when Osmand scored.

The club's statement added they wrote to the SPFL. Scottish FA "expressing our concern that a troubling precedent has been set whereby a pitch invasion can effectively determine the duration of a match".

The SFA's statement noted McInnes "intimated concerns over player safety". which means the game was ended without adding on the usual extra time for a goal celebration.

"We fully support the decisive action taken by Don Robertson. his team to end the game," the governing body added.

"In the context of what unfolded – which is verified by the footage. the Match Incident Report submitted to the Scottish FA – the match official clearly communicated that the match was ended and not abandoned."

Martin O'Neill and Derek McInnes shook hands before Hearts' players and staff left Celtic Park

Referee John Beaton was placed under police surveillance

After Celtic were awarded a controversial late penalty against Motherwell in the penultimate round of league fixtures. referee John Beaton wasplaced under police surveillanceafter his personal details were leaked online.

Last week, Police Scotland confirmed a man, 19, has been charged "in connection with a data protection offence". will appear in court at a later date.

Now, the Scottish Senior Football Referees' Association has released a statement saying "irresponsible commentary from some managers, clubs. sections of the media has only served to fuel an already toxic environment".

It also condemns "unacceptable" pitch invasions - which "must never be accepted as the norm" -. says if these incidents continue it "will reserve all options open to us".

"We accept scrutiny is a part of football, but what we have witnessed in the last month has been entirely disproportionate. crossed the line from legitimate debate into behaviour risking the safety of officials and their family," the statement said.

"No referee should be subjected to this abuse. intimidation, threats or the leaking of private information simply for carrying out their duties. Such conduct has no place in Scottish football or society more generally.

"We also note with particular concern the unacceptable behaviour of supporters entering the field of play. This dangerous and abhorrent behaviour must never be accepted as the norm.

"We call on the relevant authorities to significantly strengthen their regulatory framework so that meaningful sanctions can be imposed, both as a punishment. as a strong deterrent, before such time as a match official or player suffers serious harm.

"Referees perform a difficult role in an intensely demanding environment. deserve the same respect, and protection afforded to everyone else in the game.

"Scottish football cannot thrive in an atmosphere where referees are subjected to personal attacks for making decisions in the course of their duties.

"Should this behaviour continue, we will reserve all options open to us. We urge all stakeholders to work together to ensure Scottish football remains safe for everyone involved."

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cddpnzy78z4o?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss

Discussion

Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.