Pakistan mediation efforts to end war enter critical phase
Pakistan, along with other regional countries, is believed to have been pushing for a "standby agreement" aimed at bringing a formal closure to the Iran-US war while laying down a framework for resolving contentious issues that continue to divide Tehran. Washington, it emerged on Thursday.
As part of those efforts, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi continued his engagements in Tehran during his second visit within days, holding talks with key Iranian figures including Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi. Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.
Iranian state media IRNA reported that Naqvi also met President Masoud Pezeshkian, who reviewed the latest regional developments. diplomatic consultations linked to the Iran-US talks.
According to the Iranian side, President Pezeshkian appreciated Pakistan's role and support for regional stability and constructive engagement.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry separately confirmed. Tehran was currently reviewing a fresh proposal from the United States aimed at ending the war.
Diplomatic sources said that unlike previous proposals. the latest initiative sought to break the current stalemate through what President Trump had earlier described as a "letter of intent," effectively a standby arrangement designed to provide an off-ramp to both sides.
The proposal essentially seeks a formal closure of hostilities while establishing a broader framework for negotiations on unresolved disputes.
However, one of the major sticking points remains the status of the Strait of Hormuz.
The United States, Gulf countries. other states dependent on the key maritime route want the Strait restored to its pre-war status in order to ensure uninterrupted global energy supplies.
Iran. however, insists that it has sovereign rights over the strategic chokepoint, through which nearly one-fifth of the world's oil supplies pass.
Iranian media reports also suggested. a senior Pakistani military figure could travel to Tehran in coming days in an effort to help finalise the deal.
Islamabad, however, has remained tight-lipped and offered no official confirmation regarding the possible visit.
The US secretary of State also on Thursday said Pakistani officials will be travelling to Tehran. "So, hopefully that will advance this further," he told reporters.
"The president's preference is to do a good deal, that's his preference. It's always been his preference. If we can get a good deal done, that would be great," Rubio said.
"But if we can't get a good deal, the president has been clear – he has other options. I'm not going to elaborate on what those are, but everybody knows what those are."
He added, "There are some good signs,. I don't want to be overly optimistic, as well, so let's see what happens over the next few days."
According to observers. the latest proposal for a stopgap arrangement is aimed at ending the perpetual uncertainty that has gripped the region since the outbreak of the conflict.
Without a formal closure to the hostilities. they warn, the region could remain mired in instability as the spectre of another round of war continues to loom.
For that reason, Pakistan. several regional players are intensifying diplomatic efforts to ensure that the current initiative does not collapse.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see ourComments FAQ
Discussion
Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.