Native World News

Iran says peace proposal includes reparations for war damage, US troop withdrawal

Iran says peace proposal includes reparations for war damage, US troop withdrawal

Says diplomacy with Iran continues but warns military action remains an option

US Vice President JD Vance said on Tuesday that the United States. Iran have made ​a lot of progress in their talks, and neither side ‌wants to see a resumption of the military campaign.

"We think that we've made a lot of progress. We think the Iranians want to make a ​deal," Vance told reporters at a White House briefing.

Vance said ​he had just spoken to Trump. who stressed that the ⁠core issue for the US is that Iran can never ​have a nuclear weapon. If that happens, Vance said, countries around the ​Gulf would then want their own weapon,. then other countries across the world would as well.

Vice President JD Vance Briefs Members of the Media, May 19, 2026https://t.co/M23jrYxOTD

"We want to keep the number of countries that have nuclear ​weapons small,. that's why Iran cannot have a nuclear ​weapon," he said.

He reiterated that Washington believed Tehran wanted to reach an agreement. while warning that the administration of President Donald Trump was prepared to relaunch military action if necessary.

“The president has asked us to negotiate in good faith, and that’s exactly what we’ve done,” Vance said.

He added, however, that “option B” would involve launching fresh military operations.

“But that’s not what the president wants, and I don’t think it’s what the Iranians want either,” Vance said.

The US vice president said Washington saw an opportunity to improve long-strained ties between Iran and the United States.

“We have an opportunity here, I think, to reset the relationship that has existed between Iran. the United States for 47 years,” Vance told reporters.

“That’s what the president has asked us to do, and that’s what we’re going to keep on working at. But it takes two to tango,” he added.

He said the administration did not want to pursue that course of action,. added that the president was prepared to do so if necessary.

Trump says US may attack Iran again but that Tehran wants deal

Earlier, President Trump said the United States might need to strike Iran again. that he had been only an hour away from authorising an attack before deciding to postpone it.

"I was an hour ​away from making the decision ​to go today," Trump told reporters at the White House.

REPORTER: "How close were you to striking Iran?"@POTUS: "I was an hour away. We were all set to go.. it would have been happening right now."pic.twitter.com/JdtA8Ums03

.@POTUSon Iran: "I hope we don't have to do the war,. we may have to give them another big hit.. I'm not sure yet. You'll know very soon."pic.twitter.com/flrdqFP2ly

Trump said ​Iran's leaders are begging ​to make a deal,. a new ‌US ⁠attack would happen in the coming days if a deal is not reached.

"Well. I ​mean, I'm ​saying ⁠two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, ​something, maybe early next ​week, ⁠a limited period of time, because we can't let them ⁠have ​a new nuclear ​weapon."

.@POTUSsays he's giving Iran "a limited period of time" to make a deal "because we can't let them have a nuclear weapon.""There's no question in my mind that they'd use it. there's no question—and I deal with these people. They're extremely radicalized."pic.twitter.com/iwKlD757l6

Meanwhile. Iran's army warned it would "open new fronts" against the US if it resumed attacks, after Trump said he had held off launching a new offensive in hopes of striking a deal.

"If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again. launches new aggression against our beloved Iran, we will open new fronts against it, with new equipment and new methods," said army spokesman Mohammad Akraminia, according to Iran'sISNAnews agency.

Iran says peace proposal includes reparations for war damage, US troop withdrawal

Tehran's latest peace proposal to the United States involves ending hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran,. reparations for destruction caused by the US-Israeli war, the state news agencyIRNAreported on Tuesday.

Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs for Legal. International Affairs, Kazem Gharibabadi’s report emphasised Iran’s “right to enrich and enjoy peaceful nuclear rights”, the state-run news agency said.

The report discussed “ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon, lifting the US naval blockade, releasing Iran’s property. assets, providing for the damages caused by the war imposed by the US for reconstruction, ending all unilateral sanctions and Security Council resolutions, and withdrawing US forces from the Islamic Republic’s periphery”, according toIRNA.

Qatar says US-Iran negotiations need 'more time'

Qatar said on Tuesday that US-Iran negotiations. mediated by Pakistan, require more time to reach a deal, a day after Trump said he had postponed attacks to give the process a chance.

"We are supportive of the diplomatic effort by Pakistan that has shown seriousness in bringing parties together. finding a solution, and we do believe it needs more time," Qatari foreign ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari said at a press conference.

Iran says new US aggression will result in 'stronger response'

Spokesperson for the Iranian Parliament's National Security Commission Ebrahim Rezaei stated on Tuesday that "any new aggression against Iran will be met with a stronger response. will make Trump even more ashamed," according to an X post by Iranian state broadcasterIRIB.

🚨 "Any new aggression against Iran will be met with a stronger response. will make Trump even more ashamed." - Ebrahim Rezaei, Spokesperson for the Parliament's National Security Commission

"The Americans must either surrender to diplomacy and our conditions, or surrender to the power of our missiles."

🚨 "The Americans must either surrender to diplomacy. our conditions, or surrender to the power of our missiles." - Ebrahim Rezaei, Spokesperson for the Parliament's National Security Commission

In a separate statement carried byIRIB. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei stated that Iran's right to nuclear enrichment is "non-negotiable."

🚨 Baqaei, spokesperson Iran's FM: Iran's right to enrichment is not negotiable.

"Enrichment is Iran's right. Others' remarks on this matter do not matter!"

US cost of war exceeds $85 billion: Iranian Fars news

Iran'sFarsnews agency reported on Tuesday that the website "Iran War Cost Tracker" estimated, after 80 days, the cost of the Iran war as well as the presence of American equipment. forces in the region to be over 85 billion and 396 million dollars.

هزینه جنگ برای آمریکا از ۸۵ میلیارد هم عبور کرددونالد ترامپ بر خلاف ادعاهای انتخاباتی خود، نه تنها وضع مردم آمریکا را بهتر نکرده بلکه با به راه انداختن جنگ ایران، بیش از ۸۵ میلیارد دلار از محل مالیات این مردم را نیز صرف یک «جنگ انتخابی» کرده است.pic.twitter.com/xk6nLM9Y2E

UN wants ‘no constraint’ on Strait of Hormuz access in light of new Iranian authority

Responding to a question on Iran creating the Persian Gulf Strait Authority to administer shipping in the Strait of Hormuz. UN spokesperson Farhan Haq has said it does not “want any particular entity to restrict … freedom of access” to the strategic waterway,Al Jazeerareported.

“Ultimately, for us, we want to make sure that there’s no constraint to freedom of navigation on the high seas. on the Strait of Hormuz,” Haq said.

China ‘deeply concerned’ over attack targeting UAE nuclear plant

China on Tuesday expressed “deep concern” over a drone attack targeting the Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant in the United Arab Emirates on Saturday.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun said Beijing opposes attacks on peaceful nuclear facilities. stressed that the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of Gulf states must be respected, while civilians and non-military facilities should be protected.

He called for an immediate ceasefire, saying preventing further escalation remained the top priority.

US, Iran exchange several proposals to avoid more conflict

In an effort to avoid more conflict, the US. Iran exchanged several proposals and counterproposals last week, theWashington Postreported on Monday, citing officials.

The report said that US President Donald Trump was unhappy with Iran’s earlier proposal regarding restrictions on nuclear enrichment. was seeking a deal with broader limitations.

In previous rounds of negotiations, the US proposed prohibiting Iran from enriching uranium for 25 years. The report said Iran has rejected that proposal. adding that a later US offer called for a 20-year ban on enrichment, which Iran also declined.

During more recent discussions. the US indicated it might consider easing sanctions on Iranian oil exports if Tehran agreed to stop supporting proxy groups in the region, according to the report.

The report also said. recent proposals suggest Iran may be open to transferring part of its enriched uranium stockpile abroad. However, it stated that neither matter had been finalized. both would likely depend on other aspects of a broader agreement.

Trump says he paused attack on Iran, signals a nuclear deal may be possible

US President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack against Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington,. that there was now a "very good chance" of reaching a deal limiting Iran's nuclear program.

Read:Dar reaffirms Pakistan’s commitment to stronger Iran ties ahead of envoy’s departure

After Iran sent the US a new peace proposal, Trump said he had instructed the US military that "we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow,. have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large-scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."

No such attack had previously been announced. andReuterscould not determine whether preparations had been made for strikes that would mark a renewal of the war Trump started in late February.

Under pressure to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal was close on ending the war,. similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if Tehran does not reach a deal.

In his post, hesaid the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia. the United Arab Emirates had requested that he hold off on the attack because "a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond." He did not offer details of the agreement being discussed.

Speaking to reporters later. he said the United States would be satisfied if it could reach an agreement with Iran that prevents Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

"There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them. I would be very happy," Trump told reporters gathered for an unrelated announcement.

Trump's post on calling off an attack came after Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran's views had been "conveyed to the American side through Pakistan",. gave no details.

Iran remains steadfast

Iran remained steadfast in statements issued on state media after Trump's announcement, warning the US. its allies against making any further "strategic mistakes or miscalculations" in attacking Iran, while contending the Iranian armed forces were "more prepared and stronger than in the past."

Iran's top joint military command. Khatam al-Anbiya, said Iran's armed forces are "ready to pull the trigger" in the event of any renewed US attack, according to Iran's Tasnim news agency.

"Any renewed aggression and invasion.. will be responded to quickly, decisively, powerfully, and extensively," the commander of Khatam al-Anbiya, Ali Abdollahi, was quoted as saying.

The Iranian peace proposal. as described by a senior Iranian source, appeared similar in many respects to Iran's previous offer, which Trump rejected last week as "garbage".

It would focus first on securing an end to the war, reopening the Strait of Hormuz - a major oil supply route that Iran has effectively blockaded -. lifting maritime sanctions.

Apparent softening by Washington

In an apparent softening of Washington's stance. the senior Iranian source said on Monday that the United States had agreed to release a quarter of Iran's frozen funds - totalling tens of billions of dollars - held in foreign banks. Iran wants all the assets released.

The Iranian source also said Washington had shown more flexibility in agreeing to let Iran continue some peaceful nuclear activity under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

The US has not confirmed that it has agreed to anything in the talks.

Iran'sTasnimnews agency separately quoted an unidentified source as saying the US had agreed to waive oil sanctions on Iran during negotiations.

Iranian officials did not immediately comment on Tasnim's report. which a US official, who declined to be named, said was false.

A fragile ceasefire is in place after six weeks of war that followed US-Israeli airstrikes on Iran. However, drones have been ​launched from Iraq ​towards ⁠Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia. ⁠Kuwait, allegedly by Iran and its allies, an unsubstantiated claim that Iran has rebuked.

The Foreign Ministry issued a statement on Monday condemning a drone attack on Sunday. in which Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted three drones that entered the country from Iraqi airspace.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see ourComments FAQ

Source: https://tribune.com.pk/story/2608929/iran-says-new-us-aggression-will-result-in-stronger-response

Discussion

Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.