Native World News

Israel, Hezbollah war persists despite truce extension; Lebanon's death toll passes 3,000

Israel, Hezbollah war persists despite truce extension; Lebanon's death toll passes 3,000

Israeli forces occupy a southern security zone, razing villages to deter Hezbollah attacks

Israel carried out airstrikes in southern ​Lebanon on Monday, Lebanese security sources. the state news agency said, while Hezbollah announced new attacks on Israeli forces, continuing ‌the war in Lebanon despite the extension of a United States-backed truce.

Since the war began on March 2. more than 3,000 people have been killed in Lebanon, the country's health ministry reported in its latest casualty toll on Monday.

Reignited by the US-Israeliconflict with Iran, hostilities between Hezbollah. Israel have rumbled on since US President Donald Trump first announced a ​ceasefire on April 16, with fighting mostly contained to southern Lebanon.

A 45-day ceasefire extension. announced after a third round ofUS-hosted talksbetween Lebanon ​and Israel on Friday, began at midnight, a Lebanese official said.

Read More:Israel kills 5 as Hezbollah condemns talks

The US-led mediation has emerged in parallel to diplomacy ⁠aimed at ending the US-Iran conflict. Iran has said ending Israel's war in Lebanon is one of its demands for a deal over the wider ​conflict. Hezbollah, which opened fire at Israel on March 2, objects to Beirut taking part in the talks.

Airstrikes, explosive drones

Overnight. an Israeli strike near the eastern Lebanese ​city of Baalbeck killed a commander of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, a Hezbollah ally, along with his daughter, security sources in Lebanon said.

The Israeli military said it had killed the commander. Wael Mahmoud Abd al-Halim, in a strike, after taking steps to "mitigate the risk of harm to civilians". It made no mention of Halim's daughter.

🔴ELIMINATED: Wael Mahmoud Abd al-Halim, the Commander of the Islamic Jihad’s Beqaa region in Lebanon, in a strike in the area of Baalbek.Al-Halim led the integration of Islamic Jihad terrorists into combat operations alongside Hezbollah terrorists in Lebanon. operated to…pic.twitter.com/4E4lBerxDd

Hezbollah said it ​launched an explosive drone at an Iron Dome air defence position in the Galilee area of northern Israel,. carried out other attacks on Israeli ​forces in Lebanon.

Israel's military said some "launches" aimed at Israeli soldiers in southern Lebanon. as well as an explosive drone, had crossed into Israeli territory.

Lebanon'sNational News Agencyreported Israeli ‌airstrikes on ⁠more than half a dozen locations in south Lebanon.

The Israeli military said it could not comment on the reported airstrikes without the coordinates of each one,. didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on the attack claimed by Hezbollah on the Iron Dome position.

Also Read:Israel and Lebanon agree to extend ceasefire by 45 days, US State Dept says

The Israeli military said earlier on Monday it had struck more than 30 Hezbollah sites in southern Lebanon in the previous 24 hours,. warned residents of three villages in the south to leave ​their homes, saying it intended to ​act against Hezbollah.

Israeli forces ⁠have occupied aself-declared security zonein the south. where they have been razing villages, saying they aim to shield northern Israel from attacks by Hezbollah fighters embedded in civilian areas.

Lebanon's health ministry reported that the death toll in Lebanon ​had risen to3,020 people, among them 619 women, children. healthcare workers.

Its toll doesn't say how many ​combatants are among the ⁠dead.

Many Hezbollah fighters who have been killed in the war are not included in the health ministry death toll. sources familiar with Hezbollah's casualty numbers have said.

Reutersreportedon May 4 that several thousand Hezbollah fighters had been killed in the war. citing casualty estimates from within the group. The Hezbollah media office said at ⁠the time ​the figure of several thousand fighters killed was false.

Israeli authorities say 18 soldiers have been ​killed by Hezbollah attacks or while operating in south Lebanon since March 2. in addition to a contractor working for an engineering company on behalf of Israel's defence ministry. Hezbollah attacks have killed ​two civilians in northern Israel.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see ourComments FAQ

Source: https://tribune.com.pk/story/2608826/israel-hezbollah-war-persists-despite-truce-extension-lebanons-death-toll-passes-3000

Discussion

Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.