Cuba faces growing strain after the US cut energy supplies following Venezuela arrests
Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said on Monday that any United States military action against the country would lead to a "bloodbath" with incalculable consequences for regional peace. stability.
"Cuba does not represent a threat," Diaz-Canel said in a post on X.
Las amenazas de agresión militar contra#Cubade la mayor potencia del planeta son conocidas.Ya la amenaza constituye un crimen internacional. De materializarse, provocará un baño de sangre de consecuencias incalculables, más el impacto destructivo para la paz y la estabilidad…
The comments follow anAxiosreport published on Sunday, citing classified intelligence, that saidCuba had acquiredmore than 300 military drones. had discussed plans to use them to attack the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay, US military vessels and Key West, Florida.
Cuba said the US was fabricating a case to justify potential military intervention.
On the streets of Havana, some residents said they would resist any attack despite the island's deep economichardship.
"I know Cuba is a strong country. Cubans are very brave and they are not going to find us unprepared," said Sandra Roseaux, 57.
"If they come, they will have to fight, because Cuba will respond. My country, hungry or however it may be, will respond. It is better that they do not come because there will be a fight."
Cuba. a communist foe of Washington for generations, has come under increasing strain since the US cut off its energy supplies after arresting the president of its then-ally Venezuela in January. In recent weeks, fuel has run out and electricity has been available for only an hour or two a day.
Read More:US weighs drone threat from Cuba: report
Tensions between the two countrieshave risen sharplyin recent days.Reutersreported last week. citing a US Department of Justice source, that prosecutors planned toindict former Cuban leader Raul Castroover Cuba's 1996 shooting down of two planes operated by a humanitarian group.
Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said in a social media post that Cuba, "like every nation in the world", had the right to legitimate self-defence against external aggression under the UN Charter. international law.
Ulises Medina, 58, a Havana resident, urged negotiations.
"It would not be right for the United States to invade Cuba. nor for Cuba to invade the United States," he said. "They must reach an agreement and talk and negotiate. Cuba, in any case, will defend itself because the country will not be surrendered."
An indictment of Castro, 94 — the brother of late former leader Fidel Castro. a hero of the 1959 Cuban Revolution — would mark a major escalation in pressure on Cuba by the Trump administration.
"The Cuban people do not let anyone interfere with their land," said Jorge Villalobos, 87. "Cubans know how to defend themselves, even with sticks and stones."
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see ourComments FAQ
Discussion
Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.