Native World News

'Still place for older gentleman' - O'Neill coy on Celtic future

'Still place for older gentleman' - O'Neill coy on Celtic future

Martin O'Neill is aiming to sign off with a league and cup double

Martin O'Neill says there is still a place in football management for "older gentlemen" as he kept the possibility of extending his Celtic stay open.

The 74-year-old helped Celtic win the Scottish Premiership over his two interim spells this term. as they chased down Hearts to triumph on the final day.

He will now aim to make it a double for the club in Saturday's Scottish Cup final against Dunfermline Athletic. which is due to be his final game in charge.

O'Neill says his focus is purely on that match, rather than what comes next,. says the past eight months have shown him he still has something to offer.

"The pleasing thing for me if I truly reflect on it. is there is still a place in this game for older gentlemen," O'Neill told BBC Scotland.

"Despite the tactics that are involved now in the game. I do believe someone with some sort of experience can still play a part in proceedings."

Scottish Cup final: Celtic v Dunfermline Athletic

Saturday 23 May, 15:00 BST

Watch live on BBC One Scotland. the BBC iPlayer; listen live on BBC Sounds and BBC Radio Scotland; follow live coverage and be part of the conversation on the BBC Sport website and app

He added: "When I first stepped in way back in October, that was my main concern. Not having managed for some time, there are different ways of playing the game.

"That was my concern, not about destroying anything I might have done 20-odd years ago. being too old to be in this game. That is certainly a great sense of pride for me now."

Celtic had been linked with Motherwell's Jens Berthel Askou,but he is joining Toulouse,while Ferencvaros boss Robbie Keane has also been mentioned.

O'Neill says he has not held major talks with Celtic's hierarchy about a potential role next season.

Asked if there will be any talks after the Scottish Cup final. the Northern Irishman said "I genuinely do not know".

"I would not have expected anyone to say anything to me anyway," he added.

"The response would have been we have to get Saturday out of the way. we'll see what develops from there."

Claims Hearts players assaulted 'not proven' - O'Neill

All the latest Celtic news, views & analysis

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c8091zz7x04o

Discussion

Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.