Native World News

Ospreys and Scarlets yet to sign WRU deal

Ospreys and Scarlets yet to sign WRU deal

Ospreys appointed ex-Gloucester boss Lance Bradley as their chief executive in January 2024

Ospreys chief executive Lance Bradley has confirmed the region is yet to sign Welsh rugby's latest Professional Rugby Agreement (PRA).

Ospreysannounced they intended to signthe deal that would guarantee their survival until at least 2028.

But four weeks on there is still no agreement.

Scarlets are also yet to commit to the deal negotiated between the WRU. the four regions which stipulates how the professional game in Wales will be run, including details such as how much money each side will have.

Ospreys. Scarlets are currently signed up to an old agreement which runs out in 2028, while Dragons and Cardiff - who are currently owned by the WRU - put pen to paper in May 2025 on the new PRA25 deal which lasts until 2030.

"It's not signed yet, but it's progressing towards that, so it's very close," Bradley toldBBC Radio Wales Breakfast.

"It's just a few details to sort out, there aren't any problems with it."

Bradley also denied reports suggesting the new agreement would mean budget cuts for the clubs.

He added: "There was some discussion about how you manage recruitment at relatively short notice,. no there's no plans for a reduction in the budget."

Ospreys coach Jones reflects on 'hell of a season'

WRU plans delay will see Wales fall behind - Tierney

Cardiff takeover deal with Ospreys owners collapses

Negotiations for the new PRA have been set against a backdrop of the WRU planning to cut the number of professional men's teams in Wales from four to three.

The union wants to achieve this in time for the 2028-29 season. will outline the terms of how this will be achieved by this summer.

Previous WRU proposals have suggested only one side would remain in the west of Wales, but Bradley remains hopeful for a long-term future for both Ospreys. Scarlets.

"I think we need to see the details of it," Bradley said.

"My personal preference would be that four regions is something that works very well.

"Ospreys against Scarlets is the biggest club game in Welsh rugby. you know everybody likes to hate everybody else, but it's a fantastic game and it's a fantastic rivalry and I'd like to see it continue if possible."

St Helen's in Swansea has played host to many sports including rugby and cricket

Ospreys have announced work on the£5m redevelopment of St Helen's stadiumin Swansea will begin next week.

The ground will be the region's new home following a season playing at Bridgend's Brewery Field over the last nine months.

Key features of the plans include a new south stand and a redeveloped west stand and terrace.

Despite delays to funding from Swansea Council due to the uncertainty surrounding WRU plans. Bradley has insisted the ground will be usable in time for the start of their 2026-27 campaign.

Ospreys are away for the first threeUnited Rugby Championship (URC) matcheswith the first home league game against Dragons on Saturday. 24 October.

"We've been working with the council to get a facility that's not only fantastic for the Ospreys,. for the community as well," said Bradley.

"The timescales are tight to get everything ready before our first game so we will be doing things in a phased approach,. we will have a stadium that we can be proud of in time for the start of next season."

An architectural site plan shows how the current rugby and cricket ground would look after redevelopment

The Ospreys chief executive did, however, admit redevelopment work will continue during the 2026-27 season.

"It will continue at some point afterwards. it will be complete for what we need for the season before the first game," he said.

Also speaking on Radio Wales Breakfast, Swansea City Council leader Rob Stewart denied suggestions the relationship between the rugby club. the local authority had been strained over recent months.

"We've been good partners all through this process. actually trying to get sense and clarity out of the WRU all through this," he said.

"We've had to navigate some really difficult times, a process which we've challenged legally. still stand ready to take legal action to the courts if necessary because of the way in which the WRU has chosen to move forward.

"This unfair process that the WRU commenced we still believe is one I think that is now dead in the water. ourselves, the Ospreys, Lance can move forward now with redeveloping the ground so that the fans in Swansea and south west Wales can come and enjoy first class rugby at St Helen's."

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/articles/cm2pjp0r8leo

Discussion

Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.