Native World News

Borthwick delays call on resting Itoje until final England squad announced in June

Borthwick delays call on resting Itoje until final England squad announced in June

England’s head coach. Steve Borthwick, has confirmed he may rest some senior players including his captain, Maro Itoje, for all or part of the summer Nations Championship. A final decision will be taken next month but. barring an injury crisis, it seems probable England will be under fresh leadership for at least one of their July Tests.

Rather than a traditional tour to a single country, the new tournament will require Borthwick. his squad to play internationals on three different continents on successive weekends, starting against South Africa in Johannesburg on 4 July and finishing in Santiago del Estero in Argentina on 18 July.

Sandwiched in between is a fixture against Fiji at Everton’s Hill Dickinson Stadium on 11 July. Borthwick acknowledges he has been having discussions with several players, Itoje included, about how best to manage their schedule to the satisfaction of all parties.

For now. according to Borthwick, the conversation with Itoje is ongoing with no firm decision to be taken until the summer squad is finalised on 22 June. “Myself. Phil Morrow [England’s head of performance] met with Maro and had a discussion about what’s right for him,” said Borthwick. “This last year has been a big year and a challenging year for a number of different reasons.

“I’ll make decisions when [the time] comes to announce the squad. Maro was in camp yesterday, and, as agreed, went home last night. Ben Spencer also came in yesterday and went home last night. We treat players individually and that’s what was right for those players.”

The best-laid plans could yet need tweaking if second-row injuries start piling up over the season’s closing weeks. it does not require a massive crystal ball to foresee Leicester’s Ollie Chessum leading England in at least one of their July Tests. Back in 2002 England chose to rest most of their key men. went on to win the World Cup the following year; it could easily be that history is partly repeated.

Borthwick. meanwhile, has defended his decision to pick the former South Africa Under-20 centre Benhard Janse van Rensburg, not yet technically available to represent England, to train with the national squad in Bagshot this week. The Rugby Football Union had to seek special dispensation from World Rugby to pick the 29-year-old. who played 21 minutes as a replacement for South Africa’s Under-20 side back in 2016. Borthwick, however, believes there is nothing wrong with omitting English-reared players such as Ollie Lawrence. Max Ojomoh in favour of someone still serving his residency qualification period.

Billy Vunipola has "made peace" with the fact he may never play for England again as he prepares for Montpellier's Challenge Cup Final against Ulster on Friday night. Under Rugby Football Union eligibility rules players who compete outside of the Gallagher PREM are prohibited from playing for the national team. Vunipola's last cap for England came at the 2023 World Cup. he moved to France in the summer of 2024 from Saracens. The 33-year-old said: "I made my decision knowing that was the rule and I made peace with it. I look at someone like your Jack Willis who is on fire at the moment. I know he has been talked about a lot. He is probably a different case to me. I think it could be case-by-case but then you are opening up the floodgates. The rules are the rules, if they decide to change it, they change it but I think there is enough quality in England to be successful. they have been." There has been a lot of discussion around England selection this week after South African-born Benhard Janse van Rensburg, who qualifies through residency, is part of Steve Borthwick's training camp before the Nations Championship. The centre has been selected over players like Ollie Lawrence and Max Ojomoh, something Danny Care has disagreed with. Vunipola also qualified for England through residency but he moved to the country when he was 11. He added: "This is a tough question because I grew up in England. I will be political - it is the rules. He is qualified and he is good enough to be selected. However, I would say there are good players in that position as Care put it. It is not like they are struggling at centre." Vunipola has been watching England as a fan. wishes the team would play with the same "spirit and attitude" they did against France in the Six Nations for every game. He added: "I want them to express themselves. have a bit of freedom to be that team that played against France because that is the English team that I know. I think that would take them forward and make them more successful than they are now." Sarah Rendell

“The players welcomed him and all the new guys into the squad really warmly,” said Borthwick. “The World Rugby eligibility rules are really clear. I think he’s a very good player who has committed to playing his rugby here. He’s been brilliant around the squad and I’m delighted to be able to select him in the squad this week.”

Regardless of who makes the final tour party there is pressure on Borthwick. his squad to bounce back from a below-par Six Nations campaign when they lost four of their five games. The management have highlighted the need for improved discipline. a better conversion rate in the opposing 22 but otherwise the full findings of the RFU’s post-tournament review have not been revealed.

Borthwick is also looking forward to Courtney Lawes. Joe Marchant being back in the selection frame, with both set to be available again having opted to return from France. One player who will definitely not be on the field this summer, however, is the Harlequins prop Fin Baxter who has had another foot operation. will miss the July Tests.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2026/may/19/borthwick-delays-call-on-resting-itoje-until-final-england-squad-announced-in-june

Discussion

Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.